7/11/06

Danger, Will Robinson!

I finally put the finishing touches on my death ray, and I've got my list of potential targets together. In retrospect I probably should have gone mobile -- it makes the targeting less math-intensive.



No, I kid. Actually, this is my first post from 22,223 miles above the earth. To clarify, I'm not actually floating around up there. I just beam my shit up to some flying ball of tinfoil called 95-West and then the nice people from India that Hughes hires to talk unintelligibly on their tech support lines eventually beam it back to my blog.

It's less than half the speed of DSL or cable at 3 times the price, so how could I go wrong? Of course, I know that by buying this hardware and committing to a 15 month contract I've pretty much guaranteed that Verizon will decide to offer DSL in my area next week, but what can you do?

As Arthur C. Clarke said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Abra-cadabra.

8 comments:

  1. Don't tell me you bought into DirecWay! We did too and hated it. HATED IT. Everytime it stormed the internet went out. Hell, everytime it got a little bit CLOUDY the internet went out. That was the longest 15 months of our lives. But what else can you do when you live out in the boonies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:42 AM

    Yeah, but I did a ton of research and it seems like most problems are due to bad installs and what satellite you're on. This guy was really good, and I'm on the bird I requested, so we'll see. The new DW7000 modems let you look at things like your signal strength and run speed tests and what not. And the upload speed is better. From what I read, some people have no issues with it, and they're pretty happy. Other people have problems, and tech support is useless so they get frustrated and then go online and complain to the world. I have a friend who has been on it for 2 years and hasn't had any problems except for one ice storm that coated his dish cover. I could be changing my tune in a month, so if I do, you will all hear about it. So far, it beats 26.4 (dialup on a good day)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we first moved out to Nowheresville we used Earthlink and that was excruciating. Then we did DirecWay. Then a guy up on the hill (we're in the holler, FYI) started a Wi2 sharing thing (WAN) so we share his signal. My beloved wants to see about getting a T1 line straight to our little country cottage (he's the IT guru at work & could probably make that happen but it'd be expensive). We couldn't stand living in the city but man I miss the high speed internet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:09 PM

    I agree with kentucky_kitty, I set one of these things up and every time it thundered outside I wet my pants profusely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it's raining like hell outside right now, and I still have 75 signal strength. I really didn't expect it to be up when I got home, but it is....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice death ray: hope you dont need the internet during a storm: because it wont be there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah...you shouldn't be on the computer during a storm anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, I thought it was a death ray, and I was going to send you a hit list.....shoot.

    ReplyDelete