10/27/10

Mercury Falls is Here!

Well, not here on my blog, but here at Amazon. Most of you know Diesel (aka Rob Kroese) and his blog mattresspolice.com We have quite a bit of overlap in readership, so most of you probably know all about the book already, but I'm going to give you a brief review anyway. Any fan of Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series or Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide books should love this. Fun characters, great obscure references and lots of funny-as-hell dialogue. Everything I have to say about this book has already been said by all the 5-star reviews it's earned. Add this one to the pile, I guess.

For the three people reading this who don't have any idea what I'm talking about, check out the Amazon link up there and do yourself a favor and pick up the book. I read his original self-published version (with the better cover, in my opinion) while I was on vacation in Mexico and I have to say that at least a few times, my wife had to make me put down the book.

I even had to shell out my hard-earned cash to do this, because no matter how much I begged, no matter how much I pleaded, he wouldn't give me a free copy. Cheap bastard.

I'm buying a few copies to give to my friends as Christmas presents, and that has to tell you something. Mostly that I, too, am notoriously cheap, but that's neither here nor there. I can't wait for the sequel.

Congrats, Rob!

7 comments:

  1. kristina1:57 PM

    Looks like a good one - excellent reviews from most on Amazon.... I may have to buy a copy. Do you get a referral fee?

    Now it's your turn!!

    WV: conabs ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the e-book version and downloaded it, but before I could get past a couple of chapters my computer died a blue death. I lost everything on the hard drive including the book. That's why it's best to buy the real life version.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the plug, JV!

    Kristina - It is good. TRUST ME.

    Leeuna - It's possible that I could be talked into sending you another copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the original too, and Diesel even signed it! I'm thinking of putting my MF bookmark on ebay to celebrate the re-release. I agree that's it's hilarious & really well written.

    Maybe Diesel would swap you copies, JV? He might want to give YOUR book for Christmas (because I know it's on a lot of lists).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristina, I'm not sure yet. I'm hoping when he becomes rich and famous, he'll take pity on me and pay me to be his driver or something.

    Leeuna, I bought it for the kindle too, and read it on my iTouch. I'm cheap.

    No problem Diesel! Enjoyed the book immensely. Reminded me of American Gods

    KC, I'm only kidding -- he offered to send me one, but I had already purchased it. I'm impatient that way. I'm still waiting for a copy of The Force... but....you know. Jared and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought the original and laughed myself silly - I have recommended it to many people, all of whom have enjoyed it. And nobody's paid me a dime, either. How can I fix that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just bought the book on Amazon. Being a subscriber to Mattress Police, I knew all about. And if Johnny liked it -- hell, it has got to be good.

    ReplyDelete