5/8/07

Actual conversation I had at a previous place of employment.

My Boss: Is this new problem ticket for the same issue as last time? Because it references the original problem.

Me: It's new. It's in our queue?

My Boss: Yeah, I'm not sure why. We're not the ones who own the TLA.

Me: I think because when this happened they figured it was a different issue even though it wasn't.

My Boss: I understand that, but in that case, since they own the TLA, they should own both problem tickets. It shouldn't hit our queue at all. Not if the TLA assigned to the app is the same.

Me: OK, I'll look into it. I think it's only an urgency 3 ticket anyway, so Steve may have just agreed to take it because it does relate to our systems now, whereas the original problem really didn't.

My Boss: OK. Keep an eye on it and let me know when it's closed.

Me: OK. Um, can I ask you a dumb question?

My Boss: Sure.

Me: I know I should probably know this but -- What's a TLA?

My Boss: It's a three letter acronym.

Me: Yes, I know that. But what does it stand for?

My Boss: Three Letter Acronym.

Me: You're telling me we have an acronym for an acronym.

My Boss: Yes.

Me: That's completely ridiculous.

My Boss: Yes.

Me: OK. I think that's all I have.

My Boss: OK. Talk to you soon. Bye.

Me: Bye.

Click.

10 comments:

  1. I'm jealous.

    We don't have acronyms for acronyms yet at my job.

    Maybe someday. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:56 PM

    Jeez, JV, I never realized you worked for the federal government.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. That's almost more stupid than paris hilton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A conversation like that would make my ears bleed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least my work acronyms really stand for something!

    So sorry, JV. Are you sure you aren't working for C.H.O.A.S.?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, it's chaos all right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Your post “Man I Hate Lowe’s” has been selected as our “Post of the Day” on “The Rising Blogger”. It is a brand new site that awards posts, not blogs. We can email your winning badge, and all our info, if you give us an address. To reach “The Rising Blogger” site:

    http://therisingblogger.blogspot.com

    Have a great week!
    Judd

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds about right. At least you have a source of information about what things stand for. Where I work we have legacy systems so old, no one remembers what the actual expanded acronym was, so the letters have formed their own meanings.

    I continue to love the corporate world.

    (These wouldn't be ServiceONE tickets, would they?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilarious! In my last job we used to play wankword bingo - especially in dull meetings and conferences riddled with TLAs. I thoroughly recommend it although you no doubt do it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somehow TLA seems slightly better than several acronyms tossed around at the major office supply retailer where my wife works. They have these company-unique acronyms which everyone uses on a daily basis; no one - NO ONE - has any idea what words the letters represent. That would drive me insane.

    ReplyDelete